Church of the Savior on spilled blood (Resurrection church)
Resurrection Church, Front
The church "Our Savior on the Spilled Blood" was built on the place where Emperor Alexander II was torn apart by a bomb on March 1, 1881. The architecture of the church is as Russian classicism influenced by the spirit of the 16th and 17th centuries and inspired by St. Bassil's Church in Moscow. It was built between 1883 and 1907.
The interior of the church was decorated with marble in various shades and with mosaics.
After the October Revolution in 1917, the church was closed and served as a meeting place for Soviet sympathizers.
Over time, the church fell into disrepair. It was even suggested that it should be demolished, as it was a Christian institution and could not be tolerated in an atheist country.
It is truly a miracle that the church survived this period. In 1970, the Cathedral of the Resurrection was placed under the management of St. Isaac's Cathedral and its management was entrusted with its restoration.
Now after 25 years of restoration, the onion domes are gilded again and the interior shines in its former glory.