The church of St. John the Baptist in Waxweiler was first mentioned in 1232. The core of today's building dates back to a new construction in 1771. The tower was taken over from the old church. The church was extended again in 1922. The previous building was preserved as a transept and the nave and choir were newly built.
The most important furnishings were taken over from the previous building, such as the baptismal font and the wooden main altar (John the Baptist on the left, James as a pilgrim on the right). The wooden pulpit is even older and dates from 1624.
In front of the church, a modern fountain with St. Willibord.
Main street of Waxweiler
We cross the Prüm.
View of Waxweiler
At the edge of the forest, the path goes gently uphill.
The Chapel of the 14 Holy Helpers in Bellscheid
The 14 holy helpers are depicted in the altarpiece.
Gentle hilly landscape in the Eifel with Way of St. James
Islekhöhe in Krautscheid
The Choir Tower Chapel of St. Valentine in Krautscheid
On the left is St. Gertrude of Neville, on the right St. Valentine. The altarpiece shows the praying Gertrude of Neville.
Gertrude of Neville, the saint with the mice. Click to enlarge!
Chatting cheerfully, we head downhill.
Pilgrims in the Eifel landscape
The church of Ammeldingen appears.
We reach Ammeldingen.
The church of St. Isidor, a rare patrocinium in this language area, was built in 1896. The interior decoration from the time of construction is completely preserved.
In the house with pilgrim's decorations there is a pilgrim's stamp.
Here we are in Plascheid.
The yellow place-name sign "Neuerburg" is visible very small on the right edge of the picture.
The Enz flows through Neuerburg.
The parish church of St. Nicholas was built in 1492 in late Gothic style under Cuno II, Count of Manderscheid-Blankenheim, Lord of Neuerburg. It is located in the "keep" of a hill below the castle. The two-nave building is characterised by the beautiful net vaults and the coats of arms in the keystones of the vaults.
In Neuerburg, a statue of St. John of Nepomuk from 1740 stands under old chestnut trees at the bridge access over the Enzbach on Neuerburg's market square.
The market square and above it a former town tower, now part of the vicarage
The bronze market fountain depicts the life of the town's associations and traditional crafts and is a recent work by Aachen artist Bonifatius Stirnberg.