Departure from our pilgrim hostel, the Gasthof Post in Frankenmarkt. To our surprise and great joy we received visits from friends.
The Gasthof Post in Frankenmarkt is richer in history than we thought.
Gasthof zur Post
built in 1395
Wine tavern - Post station
Staying in the house
1809 Napoleon Bonaparte
1848 Emperor Ferdinand I: and the Duke of Modena
1861 Adalbert Stifter
Owner: Family Fimberger
Let's go. We follow the excellent markings and march from Frankenmarkt first to Kühschinken.
The temperature is pleasantly cool.
View to the mountains in the south
Contemplatively we walk there, along the edge of the forest ...
...and past fields of rape.
View to the north
We reach the village of Schwaigern ...
... and wander past pretty farms. The dog in the distance turned out to be harmless.
Here is another beautiful wooden house in Schwaigern. In the distance we can already see the forest we will soon enter.
In the Langholz forest we discover a Lindenthal Jakobsweg plaque.
Short ascent to Zagling
In Zagling, a blue-painted inn awaits us ...
... that we walk past, even though a dachshund so lovingly invites us in.
In Zagling we ask a farmer, whether the Way of St. James continues really in the
showed direction. Yes, he knew abaut it.
Way between Zagling and Winkl. There we are having a short break on a bench.
We took pictures of each other and assembled the picture at home on the PC.
The highest point of the morning was reached.
On the way to Oberhofen we discovered this Marian fresco with satellite reception.
The Jakobsweg (Way of St. James) leads along the edge of Oberhofen. However, we have entered the village and have had a good and cheap lunch and of course we visited the church.
The original gothic church in Oberhofen is consecrated to the 14 holy helpers. The 3 late baroque altars and the pulpit are a work of the sculptor Meinrad Guggenbichler (from Einsiedeln).
View into the interior of the church with the three altars.
It is May and therefore there is a statue of Mary on the high altar.
On the right under the window you see the gothic panel painting from around 1500, on which the 14 holy helpers are depicted. In the middle is St. Blasius.
The male altar with the portrait of St. Wolfgang. The Figures on the left and right according to the church guide are St. Sigismund - although he looks like James (except the sceptre)- and Rochus.
To the right of the altar there is a copy of the picture of Mary Help of Christians (Mariahilf), that we have met so often on the Way of St. James. We are looking forward to the Original in Innsbruck.
Farm in Oberhofen
St. James' Way plaques and the Lindenthal plaque. You can't go wrong there!
Gently the way leads uphill,
then the view opens into the distance, Traunstein, Dachstein, etc ...
The Hager Chapel
The chapel was built by Jakob Hager in thanks for his safe return from his pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in 1738. He had made the pilgrimage because he had been miraculously rescued from a collapsed clay pit.
Our pilgrim's quarters with family Eisl (Leongroid), right next to the Hager chapel.
On the hill in the background the little church of Sommerholz.