Eglise St-Léger (St. Leodegar church) from the 12th century
Click on the picture to enlarge!
The history of the town is closely linked to the history of the Abbey of Murbach. The region was already inhabited during the time of the Carolingians, but Gebweiler was first mentioned in the 12th century. The abbot of Murbach had the church of Saint Leodegar built and founded the town.
Start of construction 1182 by the monastery Murbach, after the construction of the churches St. Fides in Schlettstadt and in Rosheim.
The church was completed in the 13th century under Basel influence. (Gable of the western front, towers)
The choir dates from the 14th century.
Saint Leodegar is the patron saint of the city and canton of Lucerne. In addition to Guebwiller, the city of Lucerne was also founded by the monastery of Murbach.
Figure at the crossing tower
The entrance arch consists of three arcades and has a beautiful carved Romanesque stepped portal surrounded by richly decorated columns.
The portal is modelled on the Gallus Gate at Basel Cathedral or the portal of the Fraumünster in Zurich.
The tympanum shows Christ with Mary and St. Leodegar.