The Dürnstein monastery was settled by Augustinian canons in 1410. In the course of the 15th century they extended Dürnstein to a Gothic monastery complex. 300 years after the foundation of the monastery, Hieronymus Übelbacher was elected provost. The building was in poor condition, so he decided to baroque it.
The blue tower of the collegiate church is a striking landmark of the Wachau. Under Emperor Joseph II the monastery was abolished in 1788, and the collegiate parishes of Dürnstein, Grafenwörth and Engabrunn were incorporated into the nearby Augustinian canon monastery of Herzogenburg. The monastery complex houses the parsonage, exhibition rooms in the former prelature, the Dürnstein elementary school and private apartments.
Danube cycle route