Albert, the Archbishop of Riga, had a castle built on the site of the Livonian wooden castle destroyed by German crusaders in 1214. It was extended again and again until the 17th century, but then lost its strategic importance. Finally, it was destroyed in a fire in 1776 and never rebuilt. Restoration work began in 1970 and the castle is now the centre of the Turaida Museum Reserve in the Gauja National Park.
On the church hill (Baznīckalns) there is an old wooden church and an old cemetery, where baptised Livs and villagers were buried from the 13th to the 18th century. At the edge of the cemetery is the memorial to the Virgin May Greif. Her tragic fate is connected with the events of the 17th century in Latvia. It has been preserved in the memory of the people as the legend of the Rose of Turaida. The Turaida Lutheran Church, built in 1750, is one of the oldest wooden churches in Vidzeme. The Turaida estate was established in the 16th century. About ten farm buildings and two residential houses of the estate manager have been preserved until today.