Funchal is the largest city on the island with over 110,000 inhabitants and also the capital.
It is located in a wide curved bay on the south coast of Madeira. Down by the sea is the historic city center with its historic buildings. Lots of greenery, wide boulevards with blue flowering Jaccaranda trees and a wide promenade area by the sea characterize the city. Like an amphitheater, the outer districts stretch up the mountain slopes all around.
- On the way from our hotel to the city center
- View from the Comunidades Madeirenses (waterfront) towards the city
- in the background the port
- Mercado dos Lavradores
- Seen from the gondola that leads to Monte
- aus dem 16. Jh.
- outside simple
- inside beautiful with gothic elements
- from the window of the Ritz
- Rua de Santa Maria
- End of the 15th century