The Servite Order was founded in Florence in the first half of the 13th century. It follows the rules of St. Augustine. The name of the Order comes from the Latin Ordo Servorum Mariae (OSM) and means Order of the Servants of Mary. The "Guiding principle" is derived from this: to serve God and the people following the example of Mary.
In 1639 the Servites founded a first modest monastery in Vienna in the 9th district in the "Rossau". In 1651 the foundation stone was laid for today's Servite Church. The
oval integration of the four arms of the cross was introduced for the first time in Vienna and served as a model for other baroque churches (Karlskirche). The monastery of
today was mainly built after the second Turkish siege of Vienna (1683). The two world wars left house and church undamaged. Damage that could be repaired was caused by a fire
on the church roof in 1917 and by several floods of the then unregulated Danube.
Since the time of the Josephine reform the pastoral care of the parish of Rossau was entrusted to the community. In 2009 the Servite Monastery was closed for personnel and financial reasons and handed over to the Archdiocese of Vienna.
This is how the Servite Monastery will present itself in 2011 and from the outside it looks quite good. Inside it is very much in need of renovation.
The high altar painting "Annunciation of Mary" is surrounded by figures from the holy family, the parents of John the Baptist, Zacharias and Elizabeth, and the parents of Mary - Joachim and Anna.
The two large ceiling frescoes depict the Assumption and coronation of Mary. They are surrounded by eight medallions with images from the life of Jesus.
To the left of the church entrance is the chapel of St. John of Nepomuk, patron saint of the Austrian Servites.
Above the entrance the Prague bridge lintel is depicted. His five stars already shine in the Moldau.
Above the altar is the image of St. Nepomuk in heaven.
Under the altar lies his body wonderfully carved in marble.
On the left wall of the chapel you can see the confession of the queen to St. Nepomuk.
In the entrance area of the church on the right side there is a huge statue of Nepomuk and on the left wall of the chapel you can see the confession of the queen to St. Nepomuk.
In the church there is on the right side the chapel of St. Peregrin, venerated by the Servites. The renovation of the chapel including the installation of a wall heating system was started in 2011. The chapel was rededicated in May 2014..
Link to the Peregrini-Chapell
On the feast day of St. Peregrin there are Peregrini crescents.
Entrance to the cloister.
On 22 panels there is a report about the Servites and their saints.
The emblems in the cloister tell the story of the Servites
View from the cloister into the courtyard, to the church and (below) to the Nepomuk statue.
Statue of St. Nepomuk in the court of the cloister.
Photos (except Peregrine Chapel): G. Eichinger, October 2011