The place name Châtenois / Keschtaholz derives from the chestnut forests that thrive here. The place was already known as Castinentum in the 12th century. The church of St-Georges is baroque, but has a mighty Romanesque tower. It is situated on a hill above the town and is surrounded by a medieval wall, which is still preserved today and also includes the cemetery and some houses. The Witches' Tower is also part of the fortifications. This is where the population took refuge when Charles the Bold marched through Alsace with his troops in 1473. The houses in the town were only protected by a rampart.