The Church of Saint Martin in Frómista, in the province of Palencia, was built in 1066, donated by Doña Mayor, widow of King Sancho III of Navarre. The building was carefully restored between 1896 and 1904, freed from all additions and alterations, and now shines with its original Romanesque beauty and simplicity.
Tour around Saint Martin: Click on the small pictures!
The basilica has three equal longitudinal aisles, an octagonal crossing tower and a transept that does not extend beyond the side walls. The west front is characterized by the two round flanking towers.
The interior looks simple. In the choir there is a crucifix from the 13th century. Christ is no longer depicted with rigid arms and legs.
The decorated capitals are remarkable. There are plant ornaments and stories from the Bible.
San Martin was used as a parish church for centuries. Today, services are celebrated here only on special occasions (name day of the church patron, weddings, baptisms).
Photos: Gerhard Eichinger