The White Mother of God acts here as patroness of the impressive place of worship, which dates back to Sancho III. Originally (12th century) here was the largest monastic complex on the Camino de Santiago in Castile, cared for by the Knights Templar. Little remains, but even this is still very impressive.
In the Chapel of Santiago, in a niche, there is the figure of the Virgen de las Cantigas. She is known today as Maria la Blanca and is venerated for the many miracles she has performed.
The church from the 12th century shows the transition from Romanesque to Gothic. The entrance portal already has a slight pointed arch, instead of round arch. The tympanum, which is integrated into the portal, as was customary in the Romanesque period, is detached from the portal, and is executed above it as a two-row column of figures.
Detail of the figure relief: Jesus and evangelists
The high altar is dedicated to the Mother of God. Her life story is depicted in many pictures.
Detail of altar: scenes from the life of Mary
This statue of Mary inspired Alfonso X, the Wise, to the Marian chants "Cantigas de Santa Maria", which he either initiated or even collaborated in. The statue of Mary attracted numerous pilgrims after its miracles*) became known, so that the route of the Way of St. James shifted within a short time to the disadvantage of Arconada.
*) miraculous cures
The statue of the Virgin is now in the 16th century Chapel of Santiago, which also houses three Gothic sarcophagi, one of which contains the bones of the Infante Don Felipe, brother of Alfonso X, who died in 1247.