× Home Berg & Ski Family Journeys Ways of St. James
Rueggisberg - Lausanne shell symbol
Rüeggisberg - Schwarzenburg Schwarzenburg - Fribourg Fribourg Bridges of Fribourg Fribourg-Hauterive   Payerne Hauterive Hauterive - Romont Romont - Moudon Moudon - Chalet à Gobet Chalet à Gobet - Lausanne Lausanne
history and stories Interesting things Whats new?
  ☰ Menue Flagge Deutsch British flag

After Freiburg, the Way of St. James divides. A branch leads via Payerne, then along the river "La Broye" to Curtilles. The other branch goes via Hauterive and Romont to Curtilles, where the paths reunite. We take the southern branch via Hauterive.

romanische Brücke in Ste-Apolline.

Shortly after Freiburg, the Way of St James crosses the historic bridge at Ste-Apolline. It has been attested since 1243 and was restored at the beginning of the 19th century. It played a key role in the Freiburg - Bulle route. The chapel of the same name standing at the head of the bridge was first mentioned in 1147 and was rebuilt in 1566.

Saint Apollonia is a martyr from the 3rd century and is one of the 14 helpers in need. Before her cruel death she had all her teeth knocked out. Therefore she helps with toothache and is also the patron saint of dentists.


historische Brücke in Ste-Apolline
St. Apollonia

St. Apollonia, Gothic collection, Herzogenburg Abbey on the Austrian Camino de Santiago


Gerhard at the bridge chapel

Today's very short stage ends with a visit to the Hautrive monastery. Today's topic of the day was:  Cistercians


Cistercian monastery Hauterive

The Cistercian abbey of Hauterive was founded in 1138 by Gillaume de Glāne. At his request, the Cistercian abbey of Cherlieu in Burgundy sent Abbot Gerhard here with 12 monks. The founder, the Knight of Glāne, entered the monastery himself and died in 1143. His tomb is in the left wall of the choir.

All the churches of the Cistercian Order, like this one, are consecrated to the Virgin Mary. The feast of the Partroness is celebrated on the 15th of August, the day of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

The present monastic buildings date back to the 18th century. The monastery was abolished as an abbey in 1848 and was not inhabited again until 1939. On 30 October 1973, the Hauterive monastery was restored to full abbey status. The church was built between 1150 and 1160. It was the period of transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic style.


The Payerne link shows the Romanesque church of Payerne, situated on the other branch of the Pilgrim's Way to Santiago between Fribourg and Curtilles.

signpost right signpost left

Way of St. James Switzerland
Muschelsymbol