On our pilgrimage through Switzerland we allowed ourselves half a day in Fribourg and took part in a
Fribourg (Freiburg) is a city with a long history. It was founded in 1157 by Duke Berchtold IV of Zähringen.
Today, the old town is still one of the largest closed villages in medieval Europe.
St. Nicholas Cathedral and the Town Hall
The former castle of the Dukes of Zähringen once stood here, and later the town hall, whose tower has a monumental clock and striking bells.
The Gothic town hall was given a Baroque staircase.
On a column of St. Anna's fountain, the protector of the tanners, four angels making music and a pilgrim are depicted.
The former executioner's house with a fresco of St. Martin
View of the lower town, the fortified towers and city walls
Below you can see the Bern bridge over the Saane, which we used to enter the city.
St. Nicholas Cathedral was built between 1182 and 1490 in the Gothic style. On the west side, an imposing tower rises with rich architectural decorations that bear witness to different eras. However, the spire is missing.
The 74-metre high tower with its spiral staircase of 365 steps is one of the most original buildings of its kind in late Gothic Swiss architecture.
Anyone who wants to climb it will experience a fantastic view of the city.
The organ combines classical and romantic features. They were built between 1824 and 1834 by the local organ builder Aloys Mooser. Very quickly the organ became famous all over the world, so that famous musicians such as Franz Liszt and Anton Bruckner used them.
The stained glass windows designed by the Polish painter Mehoffer between 1896 and 1936 are among the most important works of contemporary stained glass painting on the European continent. The work was completed by the French painter Alfred Manessier.
In a side chapel there is a sculpture of the entombment of Christ from the 15th century.
In the Franciscan church there is a replica of the Chapel of Mercy from Einsiedeln, together with a copy of the black Madonna.
Especially famous are the altarpieces of the Nelkenmeister - Master of Carnations - (1480), the most colossal and notable masterpiece in Swiss painting history of the late 15th century (picture below) - click to enlarge!.
Convent of the Dominicans in Georges Python Square. This building has a long history and was used as a wine store in the Middle Ages.
Pictures of the lower town
From the history of the city of Freiburg
1157 Foundation of the town by Duke Berchtold IV of Zähringen
1218 The Zähringers die out and the city of Freiburg comes under the rule of the Kyburger.
1277 The sons of Rudolf of Habsburg buy Freiburg.
1445 Census: just over 10 000 inhabitants (town : 5800 ; country : 4600)
1481 Fribourg joins the Swiss Confederation, which at that time has eight members. At the same time Solothurn also joins the Confederation.
1476 Battle of Murten. Extension of Freiburg's territory.
16th century Reformation - Fribourg rejects their theses and remains a Catholic city.
1584 Foundation of the College of St Michael by P. Kanisius.
1798 Invasion of the French troops in Freiburg, fall of the "Ancien Régime"
1803 Act of Mediation by Napoleon Bonaparte. The town is officially separated from the state.
1848 Foundation of the federal state after the Sonderbund war.
1889 Foundation of the University.
1990 Official equality of the French and German languages.
2000 The city has 35,000 inhabitants (canton : 235,000).