The Benedictine Convent of Fahr on the Limmat
has belonged to Einsiedeln Abbey since its foundation around 1130. It is an exclave of the canton of Aargau. The monastery is home to 25 women who live their lives according to the rules of St. Benedict. The sisters are also engaged in agriculture and viticulture, as well as in the production of religious vestments and paraments. A farmers' school was closed at the end of July 2013.
Entrance to the herb garden
The herb garden
Saint Anna Chapel
Herb garden and Anna chapel
On the south-east side of the courtyard stands the chapel of St. Anne, which was built in the late 11th century.
The choir in late Romanesque style gives us the only impression of the Fahr monastery before the Baroque. The choral paintings were created in the 13th century and show us "a cycle from 'expectation to fulfilment', which runs from the north (the return of Christ), through the west (opening of the book with the 7 seals) and south cap (state after the Last Judgement) and culminates in the east with the Majestas Domini.
Romanesque stone in the choir
High altar in the church
The organ loft
Cemetery in front of the church
The former dairy farm on a hill above the monastery.
The restaurant "Zu den zwei Raben" (to the two ravens)
The ferry to Fahr Monastery. The name Fahr is also derived from it.