The village of Brienz lies at the north-eastern end of Lake Brienz. Behind it rises the famous Brienzer Rothorn, which is reached by a rack railway (opened in 1892). To prevent the Meiringen - Brienz - Interlaken railway from disturbing the townscape, it was banished into the mountain. The excavated material was used to build a wide quay along the lakeshore (completed in 1914). With its benches and deckchairs, it invites visitors to stroll and rest.
Impressions from Brienz
The village - especially the old village centre - consists mainly of beautiful old chalets. Brunngasse (Brunn alley), which has been awarded the title of "Europe's most beautiful alley", is lined with 18th-century houses.
The Brunn alley (Die Brunngasse)
Brienz is also affectionately known as the "woodcarving village". The long tradition of woodworking is visible throughout the village and is preserved by the school of woodcarving. The violin-making school, also located here, is the only one in Switzerland. There is also a woodcarving museum in the village.