After the descent from Maria Taferl we arrive in Marbach at the Danube. In the picture the church of St Martin.
The town hall originally dates from 1570, but has been rebuilt several times.
The geraniums are currently being tended.
The "manor house" (Herrenhaus) with its two distinctive towers has the coats of arms of the Starhemberg-Schaumburg and L÷wenstein-Wertheim families on the house wall. In 1575, the house was owned by the Weissenberg family, who had it converted into a manor house. In 1678 the house came into the possession of the noble family Starhemberg. After further changes of ownership the manor house now houses the community doctor, a dentist and a kindergarten.
St. Nepomuk stands at the Danube and waves to the ships and cyclists passing by, who hardly notice him.
The Way of St. James leads along the asphalt Danube cycle path to Gottsdorf.
The parish church Peter and Paul in Gottsdorf looks back on 867 years of history and was a Regensburg foundation. In the choir there are two frescos, which were painted around 1600 (Last Judgement and Birth of Jesus). The church was renovated in 2010 and shines in new splendour.
Now it's only 2 km to Persenbeug.
The route is well marked and leads partly on asphalt and partly on dirt roads.