× Home Journeys   Camino de Santiago
shell symbol Camino de Santiago Austria
Camino de Santiago Austria Vienna - Purkersdorf

.....

Göttweig Göttweig - Maria Langegg Maria Langegg Maria-Langegg - Melk Castle Ruin Aggstein Melk Melk - Maria Taferl   Artstetten   Maria Taferl Maria Taferl - Ybbs Persenbeug   Ybbs an der Donau Ybbs - Neustadtl Neustadtl - Zeillern Zeillern - St. Pataleon St. Pantaleon - Enns Enns
further stages
Salzburg Wörgl Innsbruck Landeck Bludenz Rankweil
  ☰ Menue Flagge Deutsch British flag

The section Göttweig - Melk was wonderfully marked until Melk. At the abbey the marking stops and a Jakobsweg - section "no man's land" begins. After visiting the monastery, we go downhill from the entrance on the right and immediately turn right into the monastery path, which leads down stairs to the town hall square.

Kolomanbrunnen

At the town hall square there is this Koloman fountain.


gotisches Haus in Melk

Also on the town hall square is this bread shop with two towers.


Statue des hl. Nepomuk in Melk

St. Nepomuk at the main square of Melk


Stift Melk

From the (St. Leopold) bridge over the Danube arm we take a look back at the monastery.


Karte Jakobsweg Melk - Artstetten

We walk straight ahead from the bridge through a forest and then along the Danube to the power station. To get to the dam, you have to follow the cycle path far to the left. We cross the Danube and take a look at the castle ruin Weitenegg.

Burgruine Weitenegg

Around 1180 Count Eckbert von Pernegg and later the Lengenbach family can be traced as the owners of the castle. In the 13th century the Babenbergs and the Kuenringers followed after their extinction.

The so-called Palas and the two keep built in a late Romanesque extension phase have been preserved from the high medieval castle.

From the second half of the 13th century the castle had various owners and was conquered twice.

The medieval castle was fortified from the 16th century onwards and, thanks to its good structural condition and rocky location, was able to withstand the siege by Swedish troops in 1645. In its final phase of construction, the castle, which was designed like a palace, can be recognized on the engraving by Georg Matthäus Vischer. At the end of the 17th century Weitenegg was abandoned as a residence and began to fall into disrepair. In 1832 parts of the building on the Danube side collapsed, and around 1870 the medieval east tower was removed to extract building material.

Since 1983 it has been in private ownership.


Donauauen

On the left bank of the Danube we walk along the Danube cycle path towards the cyclists. You can go on endlessly. But beware! At this telephone - just after the lock area - turn right by more than 90°. Here a signpost for the Jakobswegs would have been very helpful for us. After all, we walked on for a long, long time without turning off ...


Stiege mit Jakobswegschild

At Urfahr we cross the Wachaustrasse and meet the first signpost of the Jakobswegschild. This is obviously the beginning of the southern Waldviertel section, which from now on is excellently marked. We cross the railway in a somewhat adventurous way and climb up stairs. Pay attention to the yellow sign!


Galgenkreuz

Soon after the first steep climb we have reached the height with the gallows cross and look back on the Danube.


Leiben

As soon as the village Leiben comes into sight, we have climbed the height and it goes downhill again and through the village.


In der Ferne Kirche v. Leiben

In the distance the church of Leiben. It is dedicated to St. Corona. The Way of St. James does not pass it.


Maximilansäule

The Leibner are certainly proud of this pillar.


Emperor Maximilian I raised the village of Leiben to a market in 1513. To commemorate 475 years of market rights in Leiben the Verschönerungsverein (Beautification Association) built this monument new. August 1988

Emperor Maximilian, the last knight was in first marriage to Mary of Burgundy. His father Emperor Frederick III is buried in St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, he himself in Wiener Neustadt. His famous large tomb in the Hofkirche in Innsbruck with numerous bronze figures, the Schwarzmander, is empty.

Maximilian I (1459 - 1519)

Click for larger Maximilian picture of A. Dürer


gut ausgeschildert: Waldweg hinter Losau

After Losau, the road leads into a forest. The places described in the Lindenthal guide with "caution" are no problem because of the signs.


Bauernhof bei Hasling

Near Hasling we pass this farm with Materl "God's blessing on all paths".


Brücke mit Marterl

From Hasling the path (asphalt) leads down into the Krottental, which we cross on this bridge with Materl (wayside shrine).


Ausblick zum Ötscher

We take a break on a bench just before Artstetten and enjoy the view of the Danube valley and the Ötscher, which is always present in the background.

Oetscher
×

Super zoom to the Ötscher


Strasse: Am Jakobsweg

In Artstetten we walk on a road called "Am Jakobsweg". Here at house number 14 we find this encouragement.

The way is the goal


Artstetten Schloss

At the pillory square in Artstetten near a fountain there is fresh water.

We hike further west below the castle.

More about the castle Artstetten and the heir to the throne.


Weg nach Maria Taferl

Now the route goes downhill on beautiful paths. This does not bode well, as Maria Taferl is lying on a mountain.


Wegweiser nach Maria Taferl

All paths lead to Maria Taferl!


Maria Taferl

The stage goal has been reached!