The village was built in the early Middle Ages around a hospice named after Saints Côme and Damien (Kosmas and Damian). Saint-Côme-d'Olt has a beautiful medieval centre with three town gates. It seems as if time has stood still.
We visited the parish church of Saint-Côme-et-Saint-Damien (16th century) The twisted spire of the church tower is remarkable. The church was built in 1522 and is also dedicated to the holy twin brothers Kosmas and Damian. According to tradition, they both worked as doctors in Pheremma near Kyrrhos (Syria) in the 3rd century. They treated the sick free of charge and thus converted many people to Christianity until they suffered martyrdom.