Le Havre was founded in 1517 to replace the silting ports of Honfleur and Harfleur on either side of the mouth of the Seine. The city was totally destroyed during World War II and rebuilt between 1945 and 1954 under the direction of the architect Auguste Perret.
Tour of the city
Pont de Normandie
is a cable-stayed bridge which, at 856 m, has the largest span in Europe. It crosses the Seine estuary and connects Le Havre on the right bank in the north with Honfleur on the left bank in the south. The bridge was built between 1988 and 1994.