On the southern bank of the Danube between Tulln and Klosterneuburg, the Greifenstein Castle is enthroned high on a rock. It was built in the early 11th century. The owners of the castle changed very often. In the course of history, it was conquered and damaged several times, but always repaired. It was inhabited until about 1770, after which it decayed. At the beginning of the 19th century a prince Liechtenstein fulfilled a dream. After he had already had the Liechtenstein Castle in Mödling rebuilt, he and later his son also had Greifenstein rebuilt in the spirit of the neo-romantic castle style. Today you can still see the keep, the porch, the miners' hall, a part of the curtain wall and a part of the gate building from the old parts of the castle. After the new adaptation as a restaurant and museum, one can relax wonderfully in the castle courtyard and from the panorama terrace one has a wonderful view of the Danube up to the Tulln basin. The showrooms contain a collection of historical weapons, furniture and folkloristic objects.
Photo Wikipedia: Greifenstein from southwest
Danube cycle route