× Home Journeys   Countries and cities Ways of St James Monasteries
Danube cycling
Danube cycling overview Donaueschingen
Passau - Vienna
Passau Engelszell Schlögener Schlinge Aschach Wilhering Linz Sankt Florian Enns Sankt Pantaleon Wallsee-Mitterkirchen Baumgartenberg Burg Clam Grein Strudengau Persenbeug Ybbs Ybbs - Pöchlarn Pöchlarn Melk Wachau   Castle Ruin Aggstein   Schönbühel Monastery Dürnstein Krems Traismauer Ahrenberger Kellergasse Atzenbrugg Tulln Greifenstein Klosterneuburg Entrance Vienna Vienna
  ☰ Menue Flagge Deutsch British flag

The Dürnstein monastery was settled by Augustinian canons in 1410. In the course of the 15th century they extended Dürnstein to a Gothic monastery complex. 300 years after the foundation of the monastery, Hieronymus Übelbacher was elected provost. The building was in poor condition, so he decided to baroque it.

Dürnstein

The blue tower of the collegiate church is a striking landmark of the Wachau. Under Emperor Joseph II the monastery was abolished in 1788, and the collegiate parishes of Dürnstein, Grafenwörth and Engabrunn were incorporated into the nearby Augustinian canon monastery of Herzogenburg. The monastery complex houses the parsonage, exhibition rooms in the former prelature, the Dürnstein elementary school and private apartments.

  • Monastery courtyard
  • Church
  • choir
  • baroque cloister
  • baroque cloister
  • Chapel of Nepomuk
  • Entrance to the crypt
  • Tomb Chapel
  • Crypt
  • In the cloisterinfanticide, birth of Christ, escape to Egypt

bike symbol bike symbol

Danube cycle route